donderdag 16 april 2015

When bees do sting

Timothy installed the beehives on the hive stand he had put behind the screen. He wasn’t dressed in a beekeeper’s protective suit and hood. He did not even wear gloves. ‘The bees are still groggy from hibernating. At this stage they are very docile. It is only later in the year, around July and August when they are very busy that they are more liable to sting.’ Of course! As a child I had experienced many times that bees, contrary to wasps, were not sting-happy. They only stung when they felt threatened. Once they put the hook into the human skin, they could not get it out and would die. I remember looking on in horror how after I was stung and I had swiped the bee away in a panic I was left not only with a hook but also with the poison gland sticking out of my skin.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten